Mesothelioma Stage IV
Stage IV – The Butchart System
The tumor has spread to the pleura of the lung opposite the one in which the disease originated. It has also spread to lymph nodes outside the chest as well as to distant organs. It is no longer considered operable.
Stage IV – The TNM System
The TNM system is based on the evaluation of three components:
- T- The extent of the primary tumor
- N- Whether or not the tumor has spread (metastasized) into the regional lymph nodes and how extensively it has spread
- M – Whether or not there is distant metastasis
Numbers are used in conjunction with each letter to indicate the extent of the disease.
In stage IV, the tumor has:
- Spread to the opposite lung
- Spread to another part of the body
- Caused a buildup of fluid around the lung or heart that contains cancer cells
The tumor is no longer considered operable.