Chicken Soup with Beans
For comfort food, there’s nothing like good old chicken soup. This recipe calls for a store-bought rotisserie chicken, so it’s an easy meal for someone caring for a patient during mesothelioma treatment who doesn’t have much time. If you prefer classic chicken noodle soup, substitute egg noodles for the white beans.
- · 1 rotisserie chicken breast, or 3 cups chopped white chicken meat
- · 1 tbsp canola oil
- · 3 sliced carrots
- · 2 sliced celery stalks
- · 1 chopped onion
- · 2 cups water
- · 6 cups chicken broth
- · 1 can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- · Salt and pepper to taste
- · Shred chicken meat and set bones aside.
- · Over medium heat, add oil to a stockpot. Saute the vegetables and chicken bones for 10 minutes.
- · Add water and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer covered for 20 minutes. Add beans and meat and cook 5 minutes. Discard bones before serving.