Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken
Who doesn’t love chicken nuggets? This is a healthier twist on an American favorite because these nuggets are “fried” in the oven, not in oil. When a person is in cancer treatment and finds it difficult to eat, sometimes smaller portions are less intimidating. These nuggets are little bites packed with protein—sure to spark the appetite of anybody in the house.
- 10 Melba toasts
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into “nuggets”
- Heat oven to 400 degrees and place a cooling rack on a rimmed baking sheet
- In a food processor, pulse the toast until the pieces are roughly 1/8 in. in size—don’t over process. Add oil and pulse briefly until crumbs are just moistened. Transfer crumbs to a plate.
- Beat egg, then add mustard, oregano, salt, and garlic powder, beating till combined. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then in crumbs. Place on rack.
- Bake 15 minutes or until cooked through.