Vegetarian Black Bean Chili
For a delicious and healthy meal for your mesothelioma patient, combine this chili with some cornbread and a salad. The beans add lots of protein and the spices may help tempt the appetite of a patient who is having difficulty maintaining a healthy weight.
- 2 cups dry black beans
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 ½ cups chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- Wash beans and soak in 4-6 cups water overnight. Pour off water and fill pot with 6 cups fresh water. Add cilantro and simmer about 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Toast cumin, oregano, paprika, and cayenne in a dry skillet.
- In a large skillet, cook onion in ½ cup water for 2 minutes. Add bell pepper, garlic, and toasted spices and cook until onion is soft. Add to cooked beans with tomatoes.
- Simmer 30 minutes. To serve, garnish with chopped green onions.