Banana Muffins with Oatmeal
These moist, hearty muffins smell absolutely delicious while baking, which may help spark the appetite of a person who finds eating difficult because of mesothelioma treatment side effects. These whole-grain muffins contain lots of fiber, which can also help soothe some of the digestive issues patients in treatment with chemotherapy and radiation often experience.
- 1 cup oats (old-fashioned, not quick-cooking)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Combine oats and buttermilk in a large bowl and set aside for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 4oo degrees and prepare a muffin tin with foil or paper liners.
- Whisk flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
- Break egg into bowl with oats and mix it in.
- Add applesauce, banana, sugar, whisking until blended.
- Add dry ingredients, whisking until just combined.
- Spoon into muffin cups, sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake 20 minutes.